Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day!

We had a lovely Father's Day, celebrating Todd, the Dad of Krinkeland, my own dad, and all the special dads in our lives. It's been a rough time emotionally, however, especially because the death anniversary of one dad-grandpa just passed and another is coming soon. Madeline came into my bedroom last night sobbing mightily. It took a while for her to be able to verbalize what was wrong, and she finally spit out, "Memories!" I tried to soothe her so we could talk more, and, within her sadness was a longing for her grandpas and the wonderful times they shared. I validated Maddy's feelings, telling her I miss them, too, and I confessed a little secret: I said sometimes I play old phone messages just to hear their voices. So, we did that.

Today , she told me she got in extra cuddles with Daddy and squeezes with her surviving grandfather, "He gives the best slobber kisses!" Can't imagine where we'd be without these amazing men.



No comments: