Sunday, July 6, 2008

Lucky Enough

This will be a really dumb post without photos... But, sorry to say, I forgot my camera, and so did everyone else.

Recently, I was watching a lake home special on HGTV. It focused on innovative architecture, inviting locations, and breathtaking views. One sound bite from the show had a homeowner remarking, "If you're lucky enough to live on the lake, you're lucky enough." The saying hit home, as I feel the same way... and, often, I need to remind myself-- while sweeping up sand, or counting kids' heads, or buying more sunscreen-- what a blessed life it is.

We spent today at Mom and Dad's lake. They have an enormous, park-like lot; a shallow swim area that's mostly weed-free (ever since the weed killer kicked in;) and every lake toy a kid could ever want. Elisabeth finally got up the courage to ride with Grandpa on the Jet Ski. Later, we took out the boat and anchored in a deeper part of the lake. Amanda, Libby, Kazmer, and Solomon-- all life-jacketed, of course-- took turns jumping off the boat into the arms of Uncle Teddy.

Todd has a summer cold and was feeling under the weather, so, between the hammock and the hide-a-bed, he napped the afternoon away. When we were driving home after supper, I asked, "Elisabeth, did you tell Daddy everything you did in the lake today? You were so brave. Elisabeth? Libby? Libby?" She was sound asleep. Oh, yeah, lake living also tires you out.

No comments: