It will probably not surprise you to learn I buy my kids' Halloween costumes at a huge discount after the holiday and put them away for the next year. Now that the girls are the ripe old ages of 6 and 5, it probably also does not surprise you to learn they have shunned my selections for this season in favor of their own character choices. The Star Wars freaks (I blame their father) are demanding to go dressed as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Princess Leia (I'm sure you can figure out who wants to be which.) Even Benjamin refuses to select something from the box. He has just a touch of the same stubborn independence that is so prevalent in Krinkeland genes and demands daily, "I be Chewbunka!"
So, I gave Batman and Thomas the Tank Engine to my nephews. My sister says I have the wrong approach... just need to persuade my children to want to wear the costumes we already have. My first child was three years, three months before she was potty-trained. My second regularly wears bizarrely mismatched outfits to preschool. My third, at two years, is in the process of rotting his teeth because he still goes to bed with a sippy cup of Pediasure and sometimes wakes in the night bellowing, "I need more cup!" Persuasion is clearly not my strong suit, and, again, the resistance is genetic. When is the last time you changed my mind on something? Or Todd's?!
Today, the final eBay auction is closing on the last coveted Halloween costume we need-- so I will bid and be done. Meantime, if any of the urchins in your homes want to be genies or mermaids for Halloween, give me a shout and I'll hook you up.
No comments:
Post a Comment