The three children who have teeth were at the dentist for their checkups. It was a more-interesting-than-usual visit, considering Benjamin's contraction and recovery from HSV. Oh, and had I mentioned Elisabeth got it, too? The dentist again explained the viral nature of the condition, and the basic impossibility of preventing spread between siblings, and how there's no need to try to isolate the children-- even during a breakout-- since the vast majority of the population carries the virus... just not everyone gets a canker or cold sore.
On top of all that, Amanda has also been complaining of mouth pain for the past week or more. Todd and I had both examined her frequently enough to know it was not HSV. Rather, we noticed in the back of her mouth what looked like fingers of gum tissue growing over her back molars. Or, we realized, it could be new molars erupting through the gums-- and that made a lot more sense. Amanda has been lamenting the pain, and using it as an excuse to ask for a milkshake every time we are out.
I knew this checkup was approaching, and encouraged Amanda to just wait it out. But she was complaining so much, I also sought the advice of other moms. When two families were over for supper recently, I asked the mothers to check out Amanda's mouth. Each peered in, then compared Amanda's molars to their own daughters', and both agreed Amanda was cutting new teeth. After they left, I said to Amanda, "See? Mrs. B. and Mrs. B. agreed with me. You are just getting new teeth." Amanda responded, "Yeah, Mom, but they are just moms. I mean, it's not like they're actually dentists. I mean, they may want to become dentists, but they would have to go to a lot more school for that."
When it was Amanda's turn to see the dentist today, I explained about her gums hurting, as well as my (and the other mothers') suspicion. Before even looking in her mouth, the dentist said, "Yep, I'm sure it's new molars. But there could be another reason your mouth hurts, Amanda-- you talk too much."
No comments:
Post a Comment