Sunday, February 27, 2011

All Strepped Up and Nowhere to Go

Here's the thing: Once two of my children were diagnosed with strep throat, I became convinced the other two children must have strep throat. Every cough or nose drip made me suspicious. So, this morning, I finally took in Benjamin and Madeline for strep tests. I figured I might as well have one, too. We were all negative.

But, Elisabeth was still positive.

She came along for the ride (it was that or help Daddy repair the donated stage lights-- Amanda's choice.) After all the tests came back negative, I asked the doctor, "Why don't you take another look in Libby's mouth? She had a positive test eight days ago, but she's still complaining it hurts to swallow." (Yes, Libby was hovering over my bedside at 3:30 to tell me so.) "Whoa!" the doctor said. "Her tonsils look worse than the rest of yours put together!"

So, it turns out the penicillin-shot-in-the-rear method of treating strep has a 20% failure rate. Now, Libby is on another antibiotic, and doing a lovely job of taking the pills. Should have just done that the first time, I guess. Someday, I'll get it right.

She's thrilled to be missing school in the morning. Yes, I am a rule-follower and will keep her home until she's been on the antibiotic for 24 hours. This is really important, because, in the past eight days, Libby has only had the opportunity to infect: the entire student body including the cast of the play, her four grandparents, her aunt and cousins and the rest of the piano studio, her whole basketball team and the opponents, and the Saturday crowd at the aquarium.

1 comment:

Noel Paukert said...

Way to go Libby! That is quite a mission and one that the U.S. government might find useful in warfare. Do the pills also have a 20% failure rate? Get healthy!