I watched a friend's one-year-old girl and five-year-old boy this morning. Our sons have the potential to be very good friends-- each has three sisters, they have similar temperaments, they like the same kinds of things. But they also clash-- a lot. And, since they have the lovely examples of older sisters, they really know how to make their words hurt:
E: "You are my best friend. But I have a lot, lot better friends than you."
B: "But I love you!"
E: "I love you, too, but sometimes your breath really stinks."
B: "Well, your breath stinks, too. You didn't brush your teeth this morning!"
E: "I did, too."
B: "OK."
E: "I still love you."
E (10 minutes later): "I have a lot of friends. I really love Sam. Sam is my best, best buddy."
B: (looks crestfallen)
E: "Don't be sad. I guess I can like you, too."
B: (brightens) "OK! Want to see my show now?" (The entire morning Ben was wearing a pale pink leotard.)
1 comment:
Laughed out loud about the pale pink leotard.
Post a Comment