Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lickin' La Vida Loca

Raising children is generally a disgusting experience.

I mean that in the most positive, loving way possible. I adore my children and often think to myself-- and even say out loud, "I would not trade the worst day with them for the best day without them." Still, being a mommy means having regular contact with boogers other than my own; becoming overly familiar with what goes into and out of digestive tracts, from both directions; and being on a first-name basis with every virus-causing germ known to the microbiological community.

Today's issue: Madeline licks stuff.

I know it's called Pica when a person eats non-food substances. That's generally thought to occur when said person is malnourished or nutrient-deficient in some area. Not this child:

OK, so the donut isn't the most stellar example of nutrition, but, it's a cute photo, right? Anyway, Maddy doesn't eat the stuff-- she just licks it. She sat through mass at school yesterday, passing a board book back and forth with a little friend... and licking the page. In the car the other day, Benjamin yelled from the back seat, "Ewww! Maddy is licking the bottom of her shoe!" At McDonald's for lunch, Madeline licked her chair before she climbed up to eat.

I know I can't put sanitizer in her mouth because the alcohol is toxic. But, having her tongue removed seems even more drastic, doesn't it?

No comments: