I was fascinated by the most interesting sight this morning. Madeline was throwing a fit. Not interesting. I was helping Amanda write a book report and Elisabeth was trying to help Maddy get a drink. To the best of my understanding, the tantrum had something to do with juice and yogurt smoothies and Maddy saying she wanted one thing but screaming and throwing herself on the ground when she got that thing. It was a pretty typical two-year-old tantrum.
I thanked Libby for helping and told her it was OK... I didn't understand what Maddy wanted, either. Since there was no serious problem and the little one wasn't in any danger, I said we could just leave her alone until she calmed down. I went back to Amanda's homework, and here's when the fascination began.
Libby went over to Madeline, who was thrashing around on the ground. She does this thing where she gets on all fours and "crawls" along the floor, dragging her forehead, which I'd think would cause rug burn, but, not yet. Anyway, the big sister sat on the floor, a safe distance from screaming Maddy, and began talking to her in a soft voice. I couldn't hear what she was saying, with all the yelling. Then, Libby stood up, and gently covered Madeline's whole body with pillows and blankets. She went and got a pacifier and handed it to her, talking calmly all the time.
Then, Libby just sat next to her sister and waited. Within a minute or two-- fantastic recovery time for the toddler-- Madeline sat up, pushed the pillows off, and handed the pacifier back to Elisabeth. Then, Libby said, "Ready to play now?" Maddy stood, took her sister's hand, and off they went.
I think they understand each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment