Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Saying Nothing at All

The older I get, the less I say. Yes, I am referring to a topic on which I have previously written-- when it is better to keep one's mouth shut, which is often. But, I also mean just not responding... even when I'm right... especially when I'm right.

It's not that I don't have a strong opinion about absolutely every topic under the sun-- I do. It's not that I don't feel as passionately about things as I once did. It's simply that I no longer care about convincing others to see things my way. I rarely feel the need to defend my actions or my views. I don't see much point in beating others over the head with my evidence or ridiculing them for taking a different stance.

I don't much care if people like me. This is not to say I wish for people to dislike me; that never feels good. And I screw up a lot. I certainly do need to open my mouth to apologize, pretty much every day. But, if people don't like me, or if they don't accept my apology, or if they don't see the good I'm doing as a positive thing... Well, then, what can I say? What should I say? That's right-- nothing.

And, yes, you guessed where this was going: It would be nice if you would shut your trap, too.

What do you mean? I am keeping my mouth shut. Lips sealed. Locked tight, key thrown. I typed this instead.

2 comments:

Noel Paukert said...

One of these days, I will also keep my mouth shut. Today is NOT that day...sorry, you might have inherited that from me...pray to change your DNA or continue with your wisdom, intuition, practicality, and great advice...just so you know, I think people SHOULD listen to you...you're really smart and inciteful!!!!!

HMT said...

Well, I like you and your trap just the way you are. More than once you have said what needed said to help me see perspective and I believe a true friend is the only one brave enough to do so. I hope others enjoy this about you too. I more than agree that you are smart and insightful.