Thursday, January 17, 2013

How Did I Get Here?

I looked around the cafeteria, as the other parents looked with glazed eyes at the Power Point presentation and all the kids slumped down in their seats, surreptitiously elbowing each other. On the chair next to me, Amanda looked around, too, giving me a sheepish look when I "caught" her. I leaned over and whispered, "Are you excited?" She nodded.

It was the Middle School Premier.

This is the time for parents and students to learn what the parochial school has to offer, to hear about class sizes and look at charts comparing test scores, to meet teachers and inspect classrooms and Smartboards. I didn't feel ready to be here. I don't feel ready to have a child in middle school.

I reached for her unconsciously-- or maybe it was subconsciously-- and rubbed the back of Amanda's neck. I felt like we should instead be at preschool open house. I wanted to put her into the car, buckle her into her car seat, drive her home, give her a cookie, pull her onto my lap, and read her "Love You Forever."

But then the lights came up, and Amanda was off. Off on the next adventure. Off with her friends. Off to learn. Off to middle school.



No comments: