Thursday, July 23, 2015

Characters

At tonight's performance of "Oliver!" just before we all went on for the finale, Madeline turned to me and said, "I don't think it's fair that I don't have a name." I didn't know what she was talking about and pointed out she does have a name-- Madeline. "Nooo," she whined, "I mean in the play. Everyone has a name except me. You are 'Old Annie' and some other stuff, and Daddy is 'The Doctor' and we are all in the chorus, but I don't get to have a name." 

I reminded her of an earlier stage in the rehearsal process, when the director encouraged all of us to fabricate backstories for our characters, including-- if the script did not designate them-- names. Then, I asked Maddy what she wanted her character to be called. Without hesitation, she stated, "Allison." "Very good," I said, and I turned to the other little girl who is always on stage with me and Maddy in the crowd scenes; the costumer even dressed us in coordinating outfits. "Madeline here says her character in this play is 'Allison,' so I am going to call her that from now on. Who do you want to be?" The little girl, also unwaveringly, said, "Annabelle."

We have two performances left, starring Allison and Annabelle. They are something.


No comments: