Some of you have been kind enough to inquire about my health, so without droning on like an old person, here is some background and an update.
For about the past two weeks, I have been experiencing upper GI pain and discomfort. I have been sick to my stomach, though more from the pain than from actual nausea. The level of discomfort comes and goes; sometimes (like now) it just feels like a dull ache in the middle of my chest (as though my bra is too tight.) Other times, the gnawing pain is unbearable, bringing me to tears and making it impossible to get comfortable. Sometimes, the pain travels lower. I have run a low-grade fever. I have been eating small amounts of bland foods, nothing too late at night.
I hardly ever get sick. I don't really have a general practitioner, because my only regular doctor visits are OB/GYN. However, I've seen the same doctor at our clinic on a couple of occasions over the past decade. I think I have convinced him I am not a hypochondriac, and I really do have better things to do than complain. The most popular theories are:
1. acid reflux
2. ulcer (not bacterial, as that test was negative)
3. gall bladder trouble, which runs in my family
However, so far, most all the tests have been negative. The only thing that came back high was the SED test, which measures inflammation. Here's what it's NOT:
1. pregnancy
2. a viral bug
3. something in my head
I am now taking a course of steroids to reduce the inflammation. I am also taking a PPI (like Prevacid, Prilosec) to block the stomach acid. I will see Todd's GI specialist at the end of the month. I'll tell you one thing: If it turns out to be acid reflux, then I haven't given my husband enough credit for dealing with his condition over the past 15 years. This pain has been worse than any of my labors, deliveries or postpartum periods. Really.
I'm not a good sick person, and this has been difficult, mostly because Todd is so busy with work, and, at times, I feel like I cannot take care of the kids. Our family has stepped up and been wonderful; grandmas swoop in to care take, babysit, cook and clean. But I'm ready for my life back, so, hopefully, the drugs will work and the experts will get to the bottom of things. And it better be soon, because I've also given up Diet Coke.
1 comment:
Thanks for clarifying that you're not pregnant. :)
Post a Comment