Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Moms Gone Wild


Yes, I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my report on the "girls' weekend"-- the first time I'd been away from the kids in a really long time, and the very first time I'd left Benjamin overnight.

Six of us met in Des Moines, Iowa... well, it was a place to meet. Friends, most of them, for twenty years or more, I think. I got adopted after I chose my husband. We saw a lot of farmland, dodged plenty of raindrops, and got lost along the way. ("Hey, look, kids! Big Ben! Parliament!") Naturally, there was eating, there was drinking, there was shopping.

I'm not spilling details-- you just had to be there. But I will share one favorite moment: At the mall, I walked into J. Crew with Janice. She's the one who lives in Iowa, so I don't ever spend much time with her. She turned to me and muttered, "So, where is the clearance rack?" Now, that's friendship.

The point of the weekend was to celebrate: 6 marriages still going strong, most at the decade mark; and 14 beloved children. And, if we don't get away from them once in a while, we'll all go mad.

1 comment:

Noel Paukert said...

What happens in Des Moines, stays in Des Moines!