Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Diagnosis: FLK


Benjamin saw the ophthalmologist. One of my favorite doctors to date, really. Ben probably didn't share my view, or any view, since his eyes were dilated, and that had to be pretty trippy for a little kid.

Anyway, she walked into the office, took one look at Ben, and pronounced, "He does not have that syndrome." What? Turns out, she had a patient with that same, rare diagnosis during her residency, and she did some refresher research based on my overly thorough pre-appointment phone call. So, she had some background, and, she just didn't think he looked like that. But, then, she checked him, checked him, checked him... It was a really long visit... no cataracts... no retinal pigmentary defects... no optic nerve colobomas...

At the end of the visit, she said, "You know, I'm not a geneticist, and I don't want to upset you, but I suspect you already have all the diagnosis you're going to get. You son has what we in the medical community refer to as 'FLK.'" WHAT?! Are you ready? Are you really ready? Are you sure you're ready for this?! Brace yourself--



Funny looking kid.

1 comment:

Noel Paukert said...

WELL, I NEVER!

He will grow into his head and his personality will take him far.

I love him like a grandson!