Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why It's Good to Have a Husband

I spent part of today trying to figure out whether I could get any kind of insurance coverage for Benjamin's nutritional drinks. The main part of his diet is Pediasure or, better yet, another product that contains 50% more calories in the same serving size. The doctor has advised us to maintain this diet until he gets on and stays on the growth chart for weight.

But this stuff is expensive. I mean, really expensive. I mean, we could have a car payment for what we're spending each month. Ben's pediatrician offered to write us a prescription, to see if things would go better with insurance that way. When I talked with the folks at the medical supply store, they told me insurance usually only covers this type of thing if it's the primary source of nutrition for the patient. It definitely is, so I was hopeful.

Later, they called to tell me insurance would not cover it-- unless our son received the supplement through a feeding tube. I didn't really understand the difference, and called Todd to voice my outrage that our son's "condition" wasn't viewed to be as "serious" as some other kids'. Todd reminded me, "It's not that serious. Thank God he doesn't have a feeding tube. Let's find a way to pay cash, and just be grateful." See how he is?

No comments: