Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fun to be a Kid





Whew! We are still recovering from that long weekend-- at least the kids are. Give them an extra day off from school, and they'll find themselves all kinds of fun. Friday night, they got to have a sleepover with Grandma and Grandpa P. They even took Ben for a couple hours, so Todd and I could sneak in a movie. Movies, popcorn, a tent in the family room, and brunch at Perkins the next day... What more could kids ask for?

Apparently, tickets to Monster Jam. Todd took the girls on a date Saturday night. Amanda had been dropping hints for two weeks, after seeing the commercials on TV. "Dad, kid tickets are just five bucks!" Yeah, but parking is $20... I thought they'd last about 10 minutes, all the while complaining about the noise and the smell, but they loved the monster truck action! Weird children.

On Sunday, they went with Grandma P and Kazmer to the nature center for a show by "Bruce the Bug Guy." Amanda and Elisabeth weren't so sure about touching the scorpions and tarantulas, but they did pet a few cockroaches. Kaz loved everything-- my skin is still crawling after seeing all the creepy things crawling on him!

Monday, Grandma and Grandpa R arrived, with an adventure of their own. I had an eye doctor appointment, so they took all three kids to see Auntie Lisa at her restaurant. Afterwards, we all went to Mall of America. There were rides, of course, and Daddy met us for lunch. Ben wasn't too keen on sitting still to actually ride anything, but he did like to look up and say, "Wow."

Are our kids spoiled? They get to do so many fun things and have so many people fawning over them... I don't think they have any idea what a wonderful life it is. But I know they'll remember these experiences, and I'll never make excuses for spending time with my kids. Many days, it's more like reading books or having an outing to Menards. But they'll talk about this stuff a lot longer.

No comments: