
BEFORE
One of the days of the week while Amanda, Elisabeth and I are at play rehearsal, Benjamin and Madeline go to my good friend's house for a play date. My friend also has two daughters in the show, and two little ones at home, so she considers the babysitting her contribution to the production. And my kids love to go and play with her kids, so it's a win-win.
This friend is also a hair stylist. A very good one, I might add. But one who went a bit far with her power... and her scissors. While my friend was playing "beauty shop" with all the kids-- she has a small salon in her house, and the preschool boys love to get colored-gel "hair hawks"-- Madeline crawled up into the chair. She seemed so excited to be there, and was sitting so nicely, that my friend cut my baby's hair. Without my permission. Without my presence.
For the record (not that I need to state the obvious,) I know nothing about hair and pretty much follow my friend's advice, because I do consider her the expert. In fact, the only reason I had not gotten Maddy's hair cut is because my friend told me to let it grow. I thought Madeline looked like a shaggy dog and I had a heck of a time keeping that long hair out of her eyes.
Still, I should have been consulted! I should have been there to witness the stripping of her babyhood. I should have wept over the wispy locks as they fell! And, yes, of course, I told my friend so, and she apologized profusely. She did make sure there were all kinds of photos and even saved a few locks for me.
When Todd saw Madeline in the evening, he said, "Oh, she looks adorable!" After I told him the story, he said, "Bet you were pissed." I told him the rest of the story and he shrugged, "Well, for the record, I never got to witness any one of the kids' first haircuts. And I'm doing just fine."



AFTER
1 comment:
I would agree: ADORABLE!
Post a Comment