I've had a rough go as of late with the friendship-fundraising dynamic. You know-- when a friend is involved in a cause and asks for donations to said cause. This is the season for walks and runs and other such events... I want to support my friend... and I understand why the friend believes so strongly in a given cause... BUT, if the organization receiving funds has practices and/or philosophies to which I am morally opposed, well, then, I cannot give my money. It's a struggle, but it's an issue I must continue to tackle if I want to be able to sleep at night.
The hardest part is that the causes are GOOD causes, seeking things we ALL want, particularly in the medical arena: a cure for cancer, treatment for Alzheimer's disease, early detection and prevention of birth defects. Furthermore, my friends have deep ties to these causes-- they've lost spouses or parents to disease, they've had to bury their babies. Thankfully, my friends are intelligent and compassionate people who understand when and why I cannot give money to a particular cause... and I always find another way to show them I support THEM, whether it's giving a gasoline gift card to get them to the event or sunscreen and specialized socks to wear for the walk.
Often, someone will ask me to donate to a cause and I am unsure whether the organization stands for the same things for which I stand, whether it will be a good steward of my money, whether it is the best vehicle for achieving the desired results. As you already know, my issue is LIFE; I am only able to back organizations that support all human life, from conception to natural death. Often, non-profit and research groups-- which may seem completely unrelated to abortion or euthanasia or the pro-life movement-- end up having funds wrapped up in those issues. So, before I say "yes" or "no" and certainly before I give my credit card number, I have to do my research.
I have recently found a tool that is of great assistance to me-- a website that does some of the legwork for me. If life is your issue, too, maybe this site, administered and researched by the American Life League, will also help you. Or, maybe it will just bum you out, but, if you care, you still need to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment