We had some extra kids for lunch, for which I whipped up an amazing meal of take-out pizza, fruit and chocolate milk. As I was getting everyone situated and served, one of the children asked, "How many pieces of pizza can we have?" The question threw me. First of all, in my family of general non-eaters, I am more likely to get the question: "How much do I have to eat?" I chuckled at that and gave a little prayer of thanks that I was feeding children who were actually interested in eating. Now, I know these children well, and I am certain they do get plenty to eat-- there's another reason to be thankful: kids who have everything they need.
Do you ever think about that? I mean-- really think about it?
We have plenty. We have more than plenty.
I was fortunate enough to grow up in an upper-middle-class home, with two parents, including a stay-at-home mom who later became a working mom. From the tales my mother tells, I know there were some tight times, where Dad and Mom "pinched pennies" and "borrowed from Peter to pay Paul" to "make ends meet." But, as a child, I never knew it. My siblings and I needed nothing, never truly went without.
Because of how our household operated, how my parents budgeted and saved, I think I grew up with a pretty healthy respect for money and a desire to stay in financial good standing. I am sure I have previously mentioned that, during the first five or six years of our marriage, before we had children, Todd and I saved my entire salary... just put that paycheck in the bank, and lived off of what my husband made. We did this in anticipation of someday having a family and not wanting to ever be dependent on two incomes.
Even through tough economic times, my husband and I have done well. I am a self-proclaimed bargain hunter and cheapskate, and I make no apologies for that. And, as much as I complain, "Todd always wants everything for a dollar-- but it has to be the best," I appreciate the way he explores different avenues and negotiates, negotiates, negotiates with our bottom line in mind. It makes no sense to me that we should pay more than is necessary for anything.
All that said, we in Krinkeland go through money like water. It costs a lot to run and maintain this household. Yes, admittedly, we do indulge in luxuries like lake toys and housecleaning and, the latest-- in-ground lawn sprinklers. With four children to clothe and feed, and only one income, we do not save as much as we used to. Still, this food thing really resonates with me: I buy and we eat whatever we want. Because we can. It's stunning.
I go grocery shopping every week, with additional trips for milk and bananas. Before I go, I read the weekly ads, I clip and sort coupons, I make a list. I have some idea in my head of how much I will spend-- whether it will be a BIG trip or just the essentials or just the good deals. But, when I get to the grocery store, I don't think twice about putting extra items in the cart. When I get to the checkout, I always know I can cover the bill.
I KNOW how fortunate that makes us. I have such respect for my husband for working so hard to provide for his family. And, I also know we are lucky-- to have been born in this country, to have been raised in plenty, to be educated and to use that education, to have opportunities, to be full. I want to always be mindful of this, and to always give thanks.
1 comment:
Amen! It is a humbling experience to miscalculate the total at the grocery store and HAVE to tell the cashier to please take the items that we didn't REALLY need off the bill...back when you were small the weekly amount was $15...think if you only had that to spend today...I never want to be that poor again!
Post a Comment