Thursday, November 20, 2014

C'mon Parents

While at the kids' school one day this week, I was chatting with some fellow mommies and talking up my nephews-- how my biggest nephew is recovering from his awful infection and hospital time, and how my littlest nephew is so busy growing cheeks and racking up hours outside the womb. My friends were asking after both families and how they are doing, and I relayed typical Proud Auntie stories about all of them. Every time I referred to one or another of my nephews or nieces, one woman would exclaim, "Oh, I just love that name!" And "I love that name, too!" Finally, she said, "They all have really great names. How come your kids, names are so... boring?" I chuckled and gave my standard (true) answer, which is that our last name is unusual enough, so I didn't think I could risk a "different" first name, too.

But there are some "different" names out there, boy, are there.

Amanda's basketball team practices at an elementary school, and, to get to the gym, we must walk down a locker-lined hallway. Today, I glanced at the name badges on the lockers:

Tylix
Stellie
Khloee
Sef
Kamdyn
Havin

I distinctly remember my beloved Aunt Sheila telling my sister, upon the birth of her first, unusually named son, "It's your baby-- you can name him whatever you want." True. And sage. However, sometimes, I would argue: These. Are. Not. Names.

No comments: